During the WOW congress in 2016 the decision was made to establish a women’s committee. WOW-Europe started its own women’s committee. The goal of this committee was to show that women are potential trade union members who need special attention. The first action on European level was to organize a seminar on equality. This was a very successful seminar and fulfilled a need to share experiences and to make a European WOW Women’s network. For that the committee made a plan for the future. This plan has been formally approved by the WOW-Europe board. 10 enthusiastic women of 8 European countries are now formally a member of this committee. Apart from the European members the committee consists of women active in the trade union movement in the other parts of the world where WOW is active.
The goals of the committee are to:
- Found a WOW-Europe Women’s network
- Share experiences of trade union work from the female perspective
- Have more women attending WOW-Europe seminars
- Have a meeting of the WOW Women’s committee twice a year
- Start a communication platform for the Women’s committee
- Explore the Icelandic model on equal pay in order to make proposals for WOW-Europe and the affiliated organisations
- Publish the activities and achievements in our magazines and the WOW newsletter
- Pay attention and try to achieve that more women work in male sectors and reach top positions
WOW wants women to be considered completely equal to men on the labour-market. In this day and age it can no longer be so that women are still being treated and paid unequally. WOW will strive to achieve this equality.